This cluster encompasses the transition to greenhouse gas neutrality of the energy and mobility sectors by 2050 at the latest. While most calls are about creating a more sustainable environment, there is also attention for other topics like safety in transport or digitization of the energy and mobility sector. These objectives take shape through 6 destinations:
- Destination 1 fosters climate science and thus helps to identify effective and efficient pathways and responses to climate change;
- Destination 2 supports different cross-cutting technologies and solutions for climate, energy and mobility applications;
- Destination 3 is about making energy supply more sustainable, secure and competitive;
- Destination 4 is focusing on reducing energy demand of buildings and industry and enabling their more active role in a smart energy system;
- Destination 5 increases the competitiveness and climate/environmental performance of different transport modes;
- Destination 6 advances mobility services and solutions at system level for passengers and goods.
As an integral part of Horizon Europe, a set of EU Missions aims to deliver solutions to some of the greatest challenges facing Europe. Notably two missions (adaptation to climate change + climate neutral and smart cities) are linked to cluster 5 as they both strive to achieve the same objective of a more climate-friendly industry and society.
The New European Bauhaus also merits to be mentioned in this respect as it focuses on a more esthetic, inclusive and sustainable way of construction.
Areas of activity
- Climate science and solutions
- Energy systems and grids
- Communities and cities
- Industrial competitiveness in transport
- Smart mobility
- Energy supply
- Buildings and industrial facilities in energy transition
- Sustainable construction
- Clean, safe and accessible transport and mobility
- Energy storage