+32 2 553 13 77
The general objective of the EIT is to increase Europe’s capacity to innovate, better compete with foreign peers and as a result contribute to the creation of jobs and wealth.
To this purpose the EIT has formed eight innovation communities (full name knowledge and innovation communities or KICs) and their role is threefold: develop innovative products & services, start new companies and train a new generation of entrepreneurs. They have a pan-European set-up though some innovation communities have regional innovation hubs to facilitate the collaboration between the partners. Each innovation community is fully independent and focuses on a specific sectoral challenge (e.g. urban mobility, active ageing, etc.).
The EIT funds Innovation Communities up to a maximum of 25 per cent. This funding is leveraged by the EIT by incentivizing Innovation Community partners to invest in innovation and provide the remaining 75 per cent funding needed for their activities. With the 25 per cent seed funding, the EIT enables them to attract capital from industrial partners and private investors. In the longer run these innovation communities need to become self-sustainable so funding by the EIT is limited in time.
If you would like to get involved you can get in touch with these communities. All details of their opportunities are found here
The Norwegian Unicerity of Science and Technology (NTNU) has been tasked by the STOA of the European Parliament to coordinate a study leading to the preparation of a report aiming to provide input on how a KIC in the water, marine and maritime sectors and ecosystems can contribute substantially to secure sustainable innovation, value creation and q... read more
EIT Digital has launched a competitive programme to empower European deep tech scale-ups by providing support for securing Series A and B funding. The competition invites fast-growing companies, with the promise that the selected "champions" will be backed in their growth journey. Deep tech enterprises across Europe, particularly those with un... read more
Together with leading partners across Europe, the EIT Community offers a wide range of innovation and entrepreneurship activities from entrepreneurial education courses, to business creation and acceleration services, to innovation-driven research projects. The EIT Country Factsheets 2023 provide a closer look at the EIT’s presence... read more
The EIT community New European Bauhaus NEB has announced a new call for applications for its innovative NEB Catalyse programme, supported by EIT Climate-KIC, EIT Food, EIT Manufacturing and EIT Urban Mobility. Applicants’ products and services must address at least one of the NEB Thematic Axes, indicating one or more sub-challenges in their... read more
Partnerships unite the EC and private and/or public partners to work together in a specific domain. They offer often a good ecosystem to find collaborations.
Infosheets contain edited content on aspects related to this programme. They are reviewed at least yearly.
Related links are easy pointers towards external information. We curate the list, but are not liable for the destinations.
Documents contain additional information related to this programme, and are similar to related links.
The MareGraph project, ‘Towards an Interoperable Marine Knowledge Graph’, obtained funding under the Digital Europe topic ‘OPEN-AI – Public Sector Open Data for AI and Open Data Platform’. The project will increase the semantic, technical, and legal interoperability of three selected high-valued datasets (HVDs) all maintained by the Flanders Marine Institute (VLIZ), which is one of the four partners of the project. This will allow the onboarding of essential marine datasets in the Common European Data Spaces. As such MareGraph will provide a structural component in the digital transition of the marine landscape. The numerous impacts of the project will benefit our seas globally in old and new ways to come.