There is 1 attachment connected to this article.
Attachments are only accessible for people with an account on the NCP Flanders website.
Sign in (if you already have an account)
or sign up.
Communication technologies like 5G and 6G are fundamental aspects for the digital transformation of Europe. Plenty of funding opportunities will therefore be present in Horizon Europe. Quite some of the coordination of these topics will happen by the European Partnership for Smart Networks and Services.
About the Smart Networks and Services partnership
This Smart Networks and Services partnership aims to strengthen Europe’s scientific and industrial leadership. It will help to
- Develop the technologies and standards for the digital infrastructures of the future (next generation internet, smart connectivity and services);
- Advance the deployment of network infrastructure, such as 5G, and help European stakeholders to develop the capacities for 6G technology;
- Contribute to Europe’s strategic autonomy, growth and jobs and help achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
Quite some existing organisations have put their shoulders under this initiative (that will launch as an Institutionalized Partnership - Art185/7): 5G-IA, Networld2020, AIOTI, Cispe.cloud, NESSI...
Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda
The priorities of the partnership are stated in the Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda 2021-27: "smart networks in het context of NGI". The identified key areas for the EU R&I community that are relevant for the future of communications technology are the following:
- Human Centric and Vertical Services
- System Architecture
- Edge Computing and Meta-data
- Radio Technology and Signal Processing
- Optical networks
- Network and Service Security
- Satellite Communications Technologies.
5G and 6G in Horizon Europe Digital, Industry & Space WP (21-22)
The majority of funding opportunities for 5G and 6G is expected to be published directly by the Work Programme of the European Partnership for Smart Networks and Services. However, in the draft WP of cluster 4, 5G and 6G are explicitly mentioned in the following topics:
- HORIZON-CL4-2021-TWIN-TRANSITION-01-08: Data-driven distributed industrial Environments
- HORIZON-CL4-2021-DATA-01-05: Future European platforms for the Edge: Meta Operating Systems
- HORIZON-CL4-2022-DATA-01-03: Programming tools for decentralised intelligence and swarms
- HORIZON-CL-4-2021-DIGITAL-EMERGING-01-26: Coordination of European Smart Network Actions
- HORIZON-CL-4-2022-DIGITAL-EMERGING-01-17: New generation of advanced electronic and photonic 2D materials-based devices, systems and sensors
- HORIZON-CL-4-2021-SPACE-01-61: GOVSATCOM Technology Development and implementation of system innovative features
- HORIZON-CL-4-2021-SPACE-02-51: EGNSS and Copernicus applications fostering the European Green deal
- HORIZON-CL-4-2021-SPACE-02-52: EGNSS applications for Safety and Crisis management
- HORIZON-CL-4-2021-SPACE-02-53: EGNSS applications for the Digital age
- HORIZON-CL-4-2022-SPACE-02-51: EGNSS applications for Smart mobility
- HORIZON-CL-4-2021-HUMAN-01-26: Workforce skills for industry 5.0
4G and 5G in Horizon2020
It is always interesting to check out which projects were funded in the past years on the topics related to 4G and 5G. Attached to this article, you can find an overview document that our Swiss colleagues (euresearch) have put together and were so kind to share.